A Wider Bridge is the North American LGBTQ organization building support for Israel and its LGBTQ community. I joined the organization as a website and social media manager in October 2012 when the organization was just starting and was looking to brand itself online. I was part of the team until November 2017.
When I joined, the number of website pageviews per month was around 20. It had less than 200 fans on Facebook and an Alexa rank of 7,320,609.
After I studied the goals of the organization, my social media strategy was to bridge the Hebrew/English language barrier (literally building A Wider Bridge) and to connect between the LGBTQ community in Israel and the US. Using my editorial marketing strategy, I focused on three types of content:
- Stories from the LGBT community in Israel, translated to English
- Highlighting and promoting American people and organizations who I believed might be likely to become fans of the organization
- Content about the work, the story and the events of A Wider Bridge
I built an online magazine inside the website that dealt with these three types of content. 90% of my social media posts lead to the website, where people could read the full article and on the way discover the work of the organization and its events.
By 2017, A Wider Bridge had a significant presence on the web.
- The web-magazine has organically increased the SEO ranking on Google and other search engines.
- Articles appeared on the first page in Google searches of people and phrases that related to the LGBTQ Israeli community.
- The website traffic has gone to hundreds – and some months thousands – of pageviews per month.
- The Alexa ranking peaked at 814,530 (which is incredible for such a narrow niche).
- Facebook fans has grown to over 27,000 followers
- Celebrities like Rosanne Barr and now-Governor of Colorado Gerald Polis have tweeted about the organization.
- Mainstream American LGBTQ magazines have followed up on a social media viral photo of Joan Rivers helping the community.
In the case of the organization A Wider Bridge, the social media work has had a tremendous effect on the relevance of the organization and the development of the brand.